The NFL has indeed done well to make the hip tackles illegal, but I don't think they call them enough. They did, however, call the penalty against a Raiders player when Tyquan Thornton, who'd been having a phenomenal game and had just caught a dandy long pass from Patrick, was hip dropped just short of the goal line and... sure enough...
Had his ankle gruesomely wrecked.
That's all that matters, really. Just that Tyquan will be better, soon, just to be healthy and good even if he doesn't play another down of NFL football.
But I will add that it seems the injuries are piling up a bit too much. I don't really watch much of any other NFL things, but what little I see it seems this player or that player is just getting taken out of games for long periods of time. Sure injuries have been a reality in the NFL, but I wonder. Maybe, maybe not. Are there more? Are the players so skilled and conditioned that, while they may be better at withstanding the punishing hits, are still more susceptible to the ones that damage limbs?
We ended up pulling this one out, but it was way too close, and way too stressful towards the end of the game. The Raiders are now a genuinely good team, with what looks to be a genuinely good coaching situation.
Along with Tyquan, Kenneth Walker was amazing today. Those two guys scored two touchdowns apiece. There is this thing and that thing that needs improvement, definitely, and I could riff on all that, but for now, I'm just spent. Yeah, that sounds waaay too stupid because I wasn't out there slogging through this game like our Chiefs were, but well, next week is a bye week and I may have time to write a bit more.
Nice that we're one of the few undefeateds, but still, the price of Tyquan is just really very not-good.
___
The photo is from Kyle Rivas at the official Chiefs site. Thank you.
___
No comments:
Post a Comment