Monday, January 01, 2007

Chiefs Playoff Berth - The Day-After Postscript

I simply can't go without blogging today with an important note about perspective. Yesterday was indeed a euphoric day, one that any fan of any given team gets very rarely.

But this morning I was stunned to see the Broncos' despair go from bad to abjectly wretched when learning about the senseless shooting death of their fine cornerback Darrent Williams. Some utterly reprobate individuals drove up next to his vehicle and sprayed it with bullets just hours after the Broncos lost. Was this somehow motivated by the loss? One of my first thoughts was of that Colombian goalkeeper a few years ago who was murdered by crazy fans after he inadvertently kicked a goal in for the other team costing them a critical World Cup match.

I just don't know. Should that matter? It is insane nonetheless.

I can only mention that after yesterday's events I realized that the Chiefs stuff only provides a fun but fleeting feeling of those things God wants us to enjoy-- relationship, accomplishment, discovery. Too many times I myself lose track of this and get consumed by the Chiefs stuff. This is not to say it isn't important, but it is really just the faintest image of what God actually has going in those areas.

All good things come from Him, and in light of horrific things like Williams' death, nothing about any Chiefs good thing means a damn. What counts is that He rescues from death and despair and He revels in our engagement with Kingdom things. That's where the genuine accomplishment lies. I pray the Williams family knows that, as well as Broncos and all NFL fans.

(If you're interested at all, I address the whole World vs. Kingdom environment a bit more at my other blog, Wonderful Matters.)

No comments: