Sunday, September 09, 2007

Chiefs at Texans - Week 1 - Record: 0-1

I should say something right up front here. I am a devout cynic. If you want "At least we did that well" kind of pap you won't get it here, unless what we did well is actually meaningful. I have all the respect in the world for Dustin Colquitt, you know I'll say it-- he's a great punter. But if the most positive thing about this game is how much the punter was out on the field, that stinks. (Even though it was only four times, it seemed like more...)

It is indeed a horrible feeling when from the day training camp opened you know your team will suck. I will be honest and actually had that hope that Brodie Croyle would pan out. He didn't big-time. Sorry, but a QB drafted that high should be showing up by now. In the one game I watched in pre-season, the one against the Dolphins (and his best showing by the way) he looked like a high school player. Sorry, but he needed to be in there leading the team. He played like he was trying to impress the cheerleaders.

Instead we've got Damon Huard, who was completely underwhelming today. To be kind to him, this was expected. He's just not anywhere near get-you-to-the-dance material. And please don't give me the whole "We shouldn't have gotten rid of Trent Green" bit because he's done. Loved him like nothin' else when he ran our offense, but he's done.

And that thought about our defense picking it up? For one, this defense just didn't get it done. It had those flashes of above-adequate, but, yeah. There ya go.

And for two, you can't expect your defense to carry the team with an offense like this. Larry Johnson, the guy everyone seems to think is Super-Duper-Man, got a woeful 43 yards rushing. Remember the sad refrain from last year? About that one forgotten thing that is arguably the most important part of the team? The offensive line? Kyle Turley is still starting. I don't think I need to say more.

This thing was doomed after the first pretty decent drive when our vaunted new place-kicker bricked a gimme 30-yarder. That was just inexcusable. Sigh.

I found myself in this crushing resignation mode as early as Thursday night, catching myself muttering to the television "I wish we had a team like the Colts." How awful is that.

I could say a whole lot more about this, or that, but it'll still all be abjectly pointless. Oh I'll blog through the season. Faithfully. But right now, I don't know--

At this point, what else do you expect me to say? What else can any Chiefs fan say?

No comments: