Monday, October 22, 2007

Chiefs at Raiders - Week 7 - Record: 4-3

Just some random thoughts about this game:

- This made it nine straight against the archest rival of all arch-rivals. The last time they beat us was the last game of 2002, in Oakland, shutting us out 24-0 the year they went to the Super Bowl. I have to keep in the back of my mind that some day the Raiders are going to give us a good pasting. I'm just hoping it is not some crucial game we need to get us to the promised land.

- What a joy to see Priest Holmes out there today. I can't see how he'll ever be what he once was, but the question every Chiefs fan will ask for at least a few more years is, who-dya think's better all-time, Priest or LJ? As much as I love Johnson, as any Chiefs fan does, I can't say he's yet passed Holmes as the all-time best Chiefs back. Thing is, this year Johnson does not have that O-line Holmes had for those years, and Holmes never really got us deep into the playoffs. However, to Holmes credit, a lot of that is because we had such a sucky defense then.

- Heard during the game that the Chiefs traded Michael Bennett for draft picks. How sweet is that, not because I didn't like Bennett but because we're stock-piling picks to build this team, which today, let's be honest, ain't goin' to no Super Bowl. (Sure I hope I eat my words.) Thank goodness Herm and Chiefs management are thinking long-term. It will pay off.

- Does anyone miss Dante Hall like I do? He was such a spark, a fired-up guy-- and not just on special teams. It goes without saying that he was spectacular on kick-backs. I'm just sick of watching Eddie Drummond do his little dance thing and get clobbered. Dante just got it and headed up field. The worst he did was get us a few yards. Drummond gets zip.

- And pessimistic me, waiting for the other shoe to drop, namely the shoe of our kicker who will certainly one day miss one of those stupid field goals when we most need it. I just happened by chance to see that Lawrence Tynes missed an extra point for the NY Giants. I didn't feel so bad. I think.

Next week a bye, some rest, and a bit of wonderment (albeit gleeful, certainly) as to how we can possibly be in sole possession of first place.

No comments: