Sunday, December 09, 2007

Chiefs at Broncos - Week 14 - Record: 4-9

Is there any question now that this one of the worst Chiefs teams in history? Last time we lost six in a row was sometime there in the 70's. I don't remember. And ya know? We aren't even as good as 4-9. The only game we really had was the Bengals game. We got a generous ref's call to help us against the Vikings, we got the Chargers when they were down and had a rare good blast of luck in the second half of that one, and we barely eeked by a horrible Raiders team who later dominated us. Really, we should be 1-12. Too bad we aren't, then we'd get a better draft pick.

So I should briefly offer an apology that in earlier blog posts I ever actually thought we were better than we were. Typical home team gushing, I guess. I can't be faulted for that. But, sorry anyway.

Earlier this week I ruminated about our woes and thought about Willie Roaf, and how we just didn't plan for his retirement. How could we not have done that when he was with us for, what, three or four really solid years after what was already a stellar career, and then after he very predictably leaves the game, we try to replace him with Jordan Black. Either way, this horror can only point in one direction.

Carl Peterson.

Coincidentally, my uncle emails me and tells me that Monday the Kansas City Star had a full spread on how "King Carl" must go. Later I web-referenced that epithet and came across Jason Whitlock's consideration of Mr. Peterson. Not flattering. At this point,

I think I agree.

I pondered all this a bit more: What in blazes am I doing holding any further admiration for the guy, after thinking about the one thing that should be the great flowing feather in his cap? All the division titles and playoff wins and Super Bowl appearances the Chiefs have had since he's been here?

Um.

From my count here they are:

Four division titles in the twenty Peterson years ('93, '95, '97, and '03). Three playoff wins (last one in '93--only two teams, the Lions and the Bengals, have gone longer without one). And a grand total of zero Super Bowl appearances. Please note that this is with a team that could arguably be considered the very best AFC team through the 1990's. And run that by me again, how many Super Bowl appearances in that time, Carl?

Just for comparison within our division, San Diego is not much better than us (4 division titles, 3 playoff wins, one Super Bowl appearance), but that is partly because they too had Marty Schottenheimer for a while blowing playoff games.

Oakland has been better (4 division titles, 5 playoff wins, and a Super Bowl).

Denver is tops by far (5 titles, 9 playoff wins, 3 Super Bowls--two of them for championships).
Maybe that makes it more fair that Denver should paste us today. I should add for the record that I mercifully missed this one. I was at my Dad's for a Christmas-oriented visit. Came home to peek at the NFL.com results and was just not surprised.

41-7. Still disappointed, but way not surprised.

I did look at the play-by-play record there on the web, and I'll just share this thing I saw, a single thing that brilliantly shows how horrific we are.

In the middle of the 2nd quarter we have a 4th and 12 at the Denver 32, and the game is still within reach. We go for it. You've got to be kidding me. Here's the thing.

We get the first down! Yay! A first down! After a 4th and 12th! Yowwie how great is that! What an accomplishment!

It's all we've got!

Oh, and that Dustin Colquitt was out there a lot again. That's good, he should be getting a lot of work in should he be picked as what will be the only Chiefs player in the Pro Bowl.

No comments: