Sunday, October 04, 2009

Giants at Chiefs - Week 4 - Record: 0-4

Even though we have such a bad team, I still shake my head after each of these losses wondering how this could be. Oh I do know why it is, and his initials are Carl Peterson. But I just think here on the occasion of our 27th loss in the last 29 games, I just think wondering just how this state of affairs can be when just a bit more than a mere 10 years ago we were in the class of the NFL.

Tonight in the other room my wife happens to have the Pittsburgh-San Diego game on, and I think about Pittsburgh being a team from such a small market, like Kansas City, but I just feel very jealous that they can have a prime-time showcase every other week while we must wallow in a sea of 12 noon central games. Today's game was actually broadcast nationally but that was only because we were playing the Giants, one of the best teams in the league.

For as much as our trooping trooper team ("They played like troopers out there yay!") gave the Giants a good run, it looked like the Giants were just treating this like a practice game. I can't say it enough, I love my Chiefs, every one of them, all the time. But I can't help but share what I see here.

I will mention our good things. Brandon Flowers, what a terrific cover guy. Mike Vrabel, nice to have him and see how New England has been so dominant because they've had players like him. Bobby Wade helped make our receivers look like a solid strength of our team with a fabulous play sweeping under a pass for a diving TD. And yet again, Dustin Colquitt is one of the best punters in the league. I'm sure I could name a few others.

But our line on both sides of the ball is still just mince meat. Our offensive line actually showed some ability today, a little. One thing that would help is for Todd Haley to stop running plays like that little QB hold-the-ball thingie then hand-off to Johnson. That went nowhere all 57 times it was run. I'm exaggerating of course, but it seemed like it was that much and I think the only time the fans really booed was when they saw that play for the 57th time.

Haley is just trying to be too fancy out there when he needs to get these guys going with the basics first. When we were down on the one-yard line we didn't send Johnson over the top once. Even with our O-line it's worth at least one try.

Meanwhile the overall Kansas City sports patheticness just keeps steamin' along. The regular major league baseball season ended today with the cross-parking-lot neighbor Royals finishing in the cellar of the AL Central for the umpteenth year in however many utterly forgettable years. Barring a miracle of all miracles for the Chiefs this year, it'll be a combined 40 team-years without an NFL playoff win or MLB playoff appearance for a big league pro sports Kansas City team. That's the largest of any other municipality by far. (The next up is Cincinnati with 32.)

Sigh.
_

No comments: