Sunday, November 08, 2009

Chiefs at Jaguars - Week 9 - Record: 1-7

There were two basic reasons we lost this game.

1. Our two starting safeties were injured. With a young, learning, and not-yet-quite-really-strong defense you just cannot afford that. Big plays by the Jaguar offense were once again our undoing. Their go-to back is a phenomenal All-Pro, and he stood this defense up practically all by himself.

2. We still have a really crappy offensive line. Still. Still still still still STILL.

Note that none of the factors had anything to do with Larry Johnson.

Now I don't know all the things about what he said or what happened, but I got some ideas from the comments in and around the game today. From my perspective I'm neither for or against Johnson. Yes I want him to behave, but from what I see a lot of his "misbehavior" is the result of the wrath so many have against him. Quite frankly, if he's ticked off at the Chiefs, I understand. I'm ticked off at the Chiefs too. This is besides the fact that he's really not a bad guy.

But I also think he should keep his feelings in the appropriate place. As Joe Chiefsblogger I can say just about anything. But he's a player on the team and his words carry a zillion times more weight. What I think he should be doing is leaving his vitriol behind because its quite justified object, Carl Peterson, is long gone. He should be giving his new GM and coach a chance--they've given him a chance and Clark's paying him buku bucks. I think he knows that, and he has apologized for the umpteenth time. Fine.

On the other other other hand, what about whether to keep him or trade him? Again, I don't know. If he had an offensive line I think he'd be just as great as he was in '05 and '06. Everyone knows this and anyone who doesn't is in serious denial. So don't blame Larry. But I will say if we can get a first round draft pick for him and that huge salary, I'd definitely make that deal.

Meanwhile, it was cool to see a fine receiver like just-signed Chris Chambers nab two clutch TD's in the last minutes during our frantic blitz to come back. A nifty on-sides kick recovery, a spiffy two-point conversion to get to within a field goal late--good fun in a game we just weren't in for the reasons mentioned above.
_

1 comment:

Matt Loede said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.