Sunday, December 06, 2009

Broncos at Chiefs - Week 13 - Record: 3-9

Well, at least they weren't wearing those old AFL uniforms today. I really thought they would, the game being Denver-KC, but they didn't. Actually, that's really too bad because right now, we really could use another team's uniform to hide behind.

We stink. What's new. Our offense stinks--I don't really know if I've ever seen any pro team in any single game flat-out drop as many passes as our guys did in this one. Our defense stinks--I don't really know if I've ever seen any pro team allow the opponent to just run over a defense like we let Denver do to us today.

Thank you Carl Peterson.

But instead of ragging all over this team like I get sick of doing every stinkin' week of the season, it is really time to just reflect on something that, ironically, Carl Peterson did do that was really great.

He drafted Derrick Thomas.

Today was Derrick Thomas day at Arrowhead, and at least there was that. And how great is that. Got his number retired and all kinds of other things happening to honor one of the greatest Chiefs ever, indeed one of the greatest players in all of NFL history.

As much as I abhor what Peterson did to our current team, I could not help but be blown away when watching his presentation speech for Thomas' Hall-of-Fame entrance back in August. Peterson not only did great, lauding Thomas with the deepest respect, but regaled the audience with a narrative about a career that I never knew was as stratospheric as it was.

Really, as much as credit as should justifiably be awarded all the Chiefs players of the 90's, Peterson minced no words: the wonderful success of the Chiefs during that time was due more to Thomas than any other player.

I remember it all myself. I think I just sort of took it for granted that we got turnover after turnover after turnover, and that we did so with a designed Thomas-led lightning attack. Back then it was not like today's Chiefs, who only get a turnover to keep a 44-13 score from being 51-10.

Thomas did it so we could win football games.

It was indeed crushing when he passed away in 2000, as if he was destined to play just during those 90's. You couldn't help but wonder why the good ones have to go like that, and go so soon.

So in a season that's just one great big miserable practice session for our beloved team, how great is it to see all the accolades go to a Chief among Chiefs.
_

No comments: