Monday, September 20, 2010

Chiefs at Browns - Week 2 - Record: 2-0

How sweet that is, to write "2-0" there at the beginning of a "Chiefs Game Today" blog post.

I will tell you that I'm still out here visiting my mother who has been in the hospital, that is why my post of last week was so abbreviated. I will say she is doing much better, and I have a minute to share some Chiefs oriented thoughts for this week.

I will say, however, that when I wanted to get over an watch this one at the local sports bar, I was completely occupied in being with my mom at one of the more significant junctions in her recovery, so I only caught snippets here and there. I did catch the highlight reel, as I must sometimes do, and caught some of the vital statistics, so I can offer a bit of a take.

I am extraordinarily impressed with our defense, which is the one thing that I didn't see much of at all. What I did see was Eric Berry chomping majorly on a play-fake allowing the Browns to go up top and get a long TD pass. At that moment I thought, "Wow does this rookie have a lot to learn." Apparently he learned quick because the Browns did not score a point for the rest of the game. Oh how I wanted to see that!

The offense did much better as well. Not only did Cassel engineer drives to get us field goals a number of times, but he made those clutch third down completions to keep the defense off the field enough to be rested to shut down the Browns offense. Oh oh oh how I wanted to see that!

Thing is, we did not score an offensive touchdown today. Yes, I did see Brandon Flowers' beautiful come-back-on-the-ball interception and TD return, but that's just another big play that helped get us a win. We absolutely must have sustained touchdown drives on a regular basis if we hope to be contenders. Two games so far -- zero sustained offensive drives resulting in touchdowns.

The fact that they mixed Jones and Charles up is a great thing, but that passing game has to click even better for us to get those drives. It was good to see the improvement after that wretched passing day against San Diego, but we still have a long way to go.
_

No comments: