Thursday, August 30, 2012

Let's Put This Guy at Quarterback

I have to admit that I caught tonight's exhibition game, only because it did get broadcast live on the NFL Network. Sweet, had some time to settle in to watch my team play ball. Sure it was a game in which our top guys played about 14.8 seconds, but hey, it's live Chiefs gametime. Nonetheless, I thought I'd put down what I liked and what I didn't like.

What I didn't like

Watching us get flagged every other play. Even though they were the eighth-stringers out there, they still had arrowheads on their helmets. Criminy, don't these guys learn anything during the full-time jobs they have out there on the practice field?

Brady Quinn. Yet another instance where our passer just didn't get the ball downfield. When you're a pro quarterback, have super high expectations, have a chance to show you actually can do the job, then it is not that hard. After the snap, get back there, look downfield, and throw the damn football.

Our eighth-string pass protection. Sure it doesn't really matter, but these guys couldn't stop the rush if it was a trickle from a broken faucet. It'd have been really nice to see what our back-up QB's could have actually done out there.

Blocked punt stupidity. Yeah yeah yeah, I know it's in the rules and all, but I'm sorry, if you block a punt you should get the ball somehow. We got a great blocked punt, but none of our guys were paying attention and one of their guys picked it up and ran for a first down. Sorry, but there is something really wrong with that.

The pukifying Green Bay fawning. Sure it was the Packers' broadcast, but come on guys, there are some Chiefs fans watching a bit too. The coverage showed none of the Chiefs sideline and made the teensiest comments about Chiefs stuff. Meanwhile about half of the entire camera time was filled with Aaron Rodgers standing on the sideline. Not only do I hate him now twice as much, but he'll still throw for 57 touchdowns against two interceptions this year. Ergcghh.

What I did like

Our running game. Even with the eighth-string guys in there we really ran the ball well. I liked Somebody Eachus and Somebody Draughn. Yeah, that's how pathetically awful the Packer homer announcers were, because I am sure I never heard them say the first names of those dudes.

Ricky Stanzi. I don't think I'd ever seen the guy play before, but he did look like a stud out there. He didn't get to really show what he could do because of the wretched pass protection, but he had skills. He did overthrow a guy when he really shouldn't've, but on some runs (which granted he shouldn't have had to be making) he didn't give up, do that slide thing or run out of bounds -- he just kept plowing forward. He's a gamer.

Our run defense. Green Bay never could get anything going on the ground. Very nice. Our linebackers were deft at getting there and making the stops, even the eighth-stringers.

Just seeing our guys out there, with Romeo keenly, thoughtfully, proficiently assessing the team and getting us ready for next week.

Oh, and yeah, the most important thing of all:

This.

It is Alex Tanney, Trick Shot Quarterback.

The Chiefs put him in for one series and as he played the announcers mentioned this Youtube video.

Hey, this says it all. Really.

Dump of all those other QB wanna-be's!

Give the ball to this guy!
_

No comments: