Sunday, September 30, 2012

Chargers at Chiefs - Week 4 - Record: 1-3

I think CBS Sports is trying to murder me. At one point in the game today the telecast showed that the Chiefs were No. 1 in offense in the entire NFL. I don't know about you but my laughter just about killed me. Arrest those guys for assault and battery!

But then I looked at each game and it makes perfect sense.

Atlanta: We play great in the first half piling up lots of offense keeping up with a very good team, then in an instant we're down by a ton at which point we can get tons more offense during garbage time.

Buffalo: We get down 28-3 so there's lots of time for great gobs of garbage-time offensive production.

New Orleans: We keep the Saints within striking distance when for the last quarter-and-a-half our offense explodes, part of it a blazing 91-yard TD run from Jamaal.

San Diego: We move down the field only to cough up the ball a bunch of times allowing the Chargers to run away with it early. Lots of garbage-time offense to get today.

Yeah, I'd bet after this one we still have the best offense in the NFL yardage-wise, and yes, my sides still hurt from the laughter I'm still experiencing.

I mean, here's why it is so hilarious.

We have not led any game at any point during the course of any game this season.

Sure we won the Saints game, but that was only at the very end with an overtime field goal.

Let's just face it, we just haven't had it in us to be in games. We have talented players out there, but too often we're messed up somehow, or just playing flat -- I mean our offense had to come alive again in the second half when it was just too little too late. Jamaal Charles was beast again, but he fumbled twice to contribute to the six turnovers we had on the day. I wonder how many times in history a team has won while turning it over six times. I don't think it has been very often, if ever.

That point about just being too messed up too often needs some comment. I'm just watching our offensive line wilt when they could be doing great, which they do often enough. I'm watching our defense have critical breakdowns at inopportune times, when they have quite often shined so brightly. I'm watching our pass rush have nothing in them to start games, but then wear down opponents later -- when it's pretty much over.

And the most messed up thing of all, I'm still watching Matt Cassel out there.

I'm just beside myself wondering why Pioli and Crennel don't just get with it and put Quinn in there knowing that Cassel will never get us anywhere. Sure Quinn may suck, but we'd never know unless we try. Sure there may even be a 97% chance he'll suck, but there's a 99.999999% chance Cassel will never get us to the promised land. Or even try Stanzi. Or Alex Tanney Trick Shot Quarterback -- please, I'm really not making fun.

Every week I see the quarterback on the other team and just get really, really jealous. Last week it was Drew Brees, today it was Philip Rivers, next week it's ::massive gulp:: Joe Flacco.

It is mind-numbing how much I want other teams and their fans preparing to face our quarterback to feel what all of us Chiefs fans have to feel just about every week. That those Chiefs have got that one guy they drafted high and developed skillfully and that no matter what happens those Chiefs will be in that game because that guy is talented and resourceful and will get it done.

Just to add to the misery, do you know how many times in history any other fan has indeed had to sweat through the week because their team was about to have to face our studly drafted and developed quarterback? Do you know how many times that has happened, EVER?

Zero, that's how many. Zero, zero, zero, for all of infinity through the past of anything Chiefs or pro football or anything. The cruel truth is here, in The Quarterback Project, something I've showcased for months now.

I mean my goodness, if we had that guy with this team? Can't you just see it? We have good players out there! But that one guy who has got to matriculate that ball down the field when all else seems lost is himself lost, and no amount of fine play from everyone else is going to make that any different. Please, I've said it a million times before, I like Matt Cassel because he's a gamer and sometimes he is surprisingly resourceful, but the fact is he's just not very good. I'm convinced this is something just about every Chiefs fan discovered long ago.

In fact during today's telecast it was mentioned that in the off-season Cassel did indeed spend a lot of time with some hifalutin quarterback skills guru, the same one Tom Brady and other top passers see -- please, be gentle, ahem, you know, my laughter reflexes, very sensitive right now...

Come on, Scott, Romeo, even Clark -- can't you get this: you just aren't going to be able to wave a magic wand over him and make him any better. Stop being fooled by the Chiefs No. 1 ranked garbage-time offense and let's just try something else until we can maybe, perhaps, splendidly get that position to draft and develop the guy. (Oh that we'd have kept Kyle Orton who was another one we could've at least tried -- ergh, sorry, still just thinking, pointless now, but still...)

Well, just a personal heads-up. I'm getting the chance to go to the game next week against Baltimore. I'm attending a conference that is in Kansas City and have a chance to be at the New Arrowhead on Sunday! So my blog next week will certainly include some about my experience. I won't be posting until Monday or at least shortly after that depending on how recovered I am from the whirlwind weekend.

Looking forward to cheering on Our Boys with all the local Chiefs fans there!
_

No comments: