Sunday, October 27, 2013

Browns at Chiefs - Week 8 - Record: 8-0

Do any Chiefs fans sense how much we're living on the edge? I mean we are on the sharpest razor's edge of play this season. Yes we have a good team with a good coach and a good quarterback and a good defense and a good closing game and a good Arrowhead crowd and all the rest of it. But I hate to tell you, but these scores just tell me that we're flipping the coin and getting heads every single game. There are just so many things happening in each of these games that tell me without a good number of those bounces going our way we could very well be 4-4 right now.

So yeah, I'm sorry. Let's all cheer and revel in our good fortune and good play and our good perfect record so far, but come on.

May I warn you, if you want to remain in your cocoon of comfortable Chiefs bliss please commence with covering the ears closing the eyes and shouting Camptown Races, but forthwith I'm going to be the most nattering of negativity nabobs. Fair warning.

Nkay, what's with our pass defense? Wow did it suck today. Our vaunted pass rush did nothing creative out there, they were stood up, straight up, and Jason Campbell connected with his receivers at will in the second half. And this is Jason Campbell. He's not terrible, but he was, what, the third straight throw-in-the-game quarterback we've faced? Please. What's going to happen when we come up against an Andy Dalton or Joe Flacco -- or, yes, I'll point it out again, what will happen during the FOUR times we ARE still going to face Peyton Manning and Philip Rivers this year? I'm cringing as I write this!

They say we have the best defense in all these special categories, you know, sacks, red zone defense, all those kinds of things, that's great -- but I saw we're still something like 20th against the run, and today we just schlurped against the pass. Suuure we got to their QB late in the game, just like we always do. And yeah, it takes hard work to hang on to games by a thread week after week after week. I am proud of our boys for their tenacity in doing that, I am, I'm not being sarcastic.

And this is the NFL. Every team is good and the Chiefs are playing tough, playing opportunistic, playing right at the times they need to.

But man, let's just face reality. We are playing a weak schedule. We just aren't being tested by the Patriotses and the Ravenses and the Bengalses. We are also relying too much on guys like Browns receiver Davone Bess who practically handed us the game all by himself today.

I'm thrilled by what we're doing, I really am. I know we're very very very likely to lose a game to someone along here sometime. We'll likely finish the season with some kind of 13-3 record or something, that's splendid.

But I can't not say it. This game just made feel very queasy, because I kinda sorta kinda thought about 2003 -- oh my 2003 that's great that's the last and only other time we started 8-0 all right yay! -- but the fact is if you're a very realistic Chiefs fan you know, painfully, that was the year our defensive liabilities were brutally exposed in that first playoff game.

I bring this up because a team that lives on 23-17 wins is highly susceptible to a 23-17 beating in a playoff game. And sorry, all this Chiefs fan is about is us winning playoff games.

Oh but be patient Dave. Enjoy the show now Dave. Everyone has a less than stellar day at work Dave. Why are you being the most negative kind of nabob Dave.

Well, I just say what I see, that's all. Yes I do sometimes feel like the plittering poopie of pessimism. It's just that I'm just sick of being the third to last team going the longest without winning a playoff game (the Bengals and Lions the only teams to have gone longer -- and the way they're playing this year the drought should end for both of them). I'm sick of blasting out to 13-3 records only to have to endure yet another catastrophic loss on Day One of playoff time. We can't even be a 10-6 team and squeak in like a Giants or Steelers and fly on into the Super Bowl.

Yeah, yeah, I shouldn't talk about any of this. We're a good team, we're playing well, we've got guys with heart out there giving their all. Please, know -- Dave can't be prouder of them.

It's just I can't help it.

As it is, just another of those notes I like to include here and there. This was our fifth home win of the season. 50 days from September 8th to today, October 27th -- five wins at Arrowhead in those 50 days. Do you know how far you'd have to go back before September 8th to get a total of five previous home wins? Well, count one home win last year, count three home wins in 2011, and the last home win of 2010 was December 26th against Tennessee that clinched us a playoff berth that year --

A total of 987 days.

Sooo, we got five Arrowhead wins here in 50 days' time, and before that it took us 987 days to secure five Arrowhead wins.

Funny, when the Chiefs were bogging down throughout the entire second half today, when we just weren't pulling away from this Browns team, when our offense just got smothered over and over and over again, I actually heard the boo's.

Wow. Yeah, I am quite the nattering negativity nabobitous guy, but wow. These Chiefs fans haven't been able to behold a regular winner at Arrowhead for a looooong time. No wonder they're grumpy.

I'm not willing to be that grumpy now, even though, yeah, I'm still eagerly waiting to see a consistent vertical passing game. Still. Still...

I'm just afraid of how grumpy I'm going to be when we're the talk of the entire sports world and

And...

Day One of the playoffs arrives.
_

No comments: