Friday, October 28, 2016

Chiefs at Colts 2016 Meeting - Game Preview

Sitting here on a lazy late Friday night just thinking about this game coming up.

In Indianapolis.

Last time... okay. I won't get into it. Every. Single. Chiefs fan. Knows.

The way everyone sees this game is that we're going up against yet another team with a fine offense but lousy defense. I have no idea what the Colts are, who they are -- I mean I do know they still have Andrew Luck and T.Y. Hilton ::cringe:: -- okay, I'm tipping my hand, what it is that's on my mind about all this.

Let's just get this out of the way. The Colts just seem to be, yeah, it is a really big seems-to-be -- they're one of those teams that just has our number. Just a few weeks ago we saw just how awful the Chiefs are in Pittsburgh. The Steelers are truly stinking against most other teams, but against the Chiefs? HA!

Same with the Colts. Luck. Horseshoe. All that. We just haven't been able to beat this team. The last time we did beat them, we helped them be so bad that year they could get Andrew Luck. And trade Peyton Manning to a division rival. If this isn't among the most horrific of all Chiefs bad things ever, I don't know what is.

So okay, what about this game? With these players? The one coming up, this one irrespective of anything that ever happened any time before which has nothing to do with anything now?

Right now, I really really really like Alex Smith. In fact, in that January 4 2014 playoff debacle he actually had a pretty danged good game.

Thing is though, he really really really needs to have another fine game on Sunday. Because yes, I'm sorry, even though we also have Spencer Ware and Travis Kelce and Jeremy Maclin and Tyreek Hill and an offensive line that is playing very studly right now...

I still don't have a lot of confidence in this offense.

Andy Reid Andy Reid Andy Reid.

Everyone's talking about how great he has been at mixing up the run with the pass. That's great. But how come we aren't throwing to Travis Kelce more?

Everyone's talking about how great Spencer Ware is doing. That's great. But how come we can't seem to get consistent offensive line play? I think I heard Mitchell Schwartz may be out for this game. Can we handle that?

Everyone's talking about how we're getting better at stretching the field with the pass -- Maclin, Conley, Hill, even Thomas -- woo-hoo! That's great. But how come we only scored six points in the second half in the Saints game?

Everyone's talking about how ferociously opportunistic our defense is. That's great. But turnovers are often the result of mere fortune -- I wonder if our ferocity is actually a sure feature of the strength and steadiness of the defense and can truly contain Luck et al. Look at this defensive backfield -- I'm very nervous. Sure we've got Berry and Peters. Sure Sorenson and Parker had fine days last Sunday. But I saw we're without D.J. White because he broke his hand.

Everyone's talking about how much both our offense and defense are highly touted. That's great!

But are we for real or... or...

Yeah, against the Colts, no matter what kind of a team they have, I wonder.
___

No comments: