Sunday, October 29, 2017

Broncos at Chiefs - Week 8 - Game Preview

We are enjoying another prime time affair tomorrow night, the classic Monday Night Football showcase, and because of that I will not be putting up my standard post-game blog post. Sometimes I've blogged during the game since I must get up for work so early, but I'm not crazy about doing that, and we'll be having family over tomorrow night, so I'll simply be posting on the game the following day. If Halloween activities take over on that day and I don't have the time, I'll just do it on Wednesday.

Until then, just a couple thoughts.

The Broncos always play us tough and I don't think by any means this game is a gimme. I noted that we're seven point favorites, and a friend told me the Broncos offense is anemic this year especially after some offensive linemen have suffered injuries keeping them off the field.

We still must score points against their fine defense, and that's precisely what concerns me. I still for-the-life-of-me don't understand why Andy Reid abjectly refuses to move Alex Smith around more, putting in designed plays in which Smith moves -- even deliberate scrambles, sort of a play action with Smith threatening to do things with his running ability while his receivers run specifically drawn routes with that in mind.

How many times does Smith, or any good mobile quarterback for that matter, make something happen from nothing when scrambling out of trouble? Quite a few! Why not have this stuff happen deliberately? I wrote a lot about this a few years ago when we lost a game to the Broncos. I have still yet to see it happen, and oh would it be great to start to see it happen with Smith.

It would be especially helpful since our receiving corps is being pressured to perform with Albert Wilson ailing and Chris Conley out for the season. I do see, however, good things from DeMarcus Robinson and De'Anthony Thomas, so this may not be so bad.

The real concern is our offensive line simply because their pass protection for Smith has been woeful. Contributing to this is having Mitch Morse and Laurent Duvernay-Tardif out for so long. I don't even know if they'll be back for this game, and if they aren't, then we'd better start using Smith's mobility better.

Another thing related to the O-line -- Zach Fulton had better start getting his snaps better. It wasn't just the snap that flew out of the end zone for a safety in that last game, it is him frequently not getting to Smith much more sharply so our plays can get off much more smoothly.

So yeah, we'll see how we do tomorrow night!
__

No comments: