Friday, November 30, 2018

The Kareem Hunt Episode

This is precisely why I have to do my damnedest to evasively refuse to pay attention to what is going on in sports. My only guilty pleasure is watching a single Chiefs game 16, sometimes 17 times a year. Tha's it.

But I can't help but witness the insanity that goes on when certain things hit the news or someone who knows I'm a Chiefs fan tells me something about the Chiefs.

So I hear today that Kareem Hunt was videotaped assaulting a girl. I did look around at what people said about it though I did not watch the video myself -- for reasons that will become clear in a moment. The responses ranged from "Don't hit, don't kick, don't be stupid like that" to "It wasn't as bad as what Ray Rice did."

So what is it? On one extreme of the behavior spectrum is softly singing a hymn while picking flower petals, and on the other is overseeing the genocidal elimination of all handicapped children.

Somewhere in between there is what Kareem Hunt did.

So what should happen?

Here's the situation as I've gathered it. On some night in February Hunt and this girl got physical with each other in some hotel hallway and the surveillance camera caught it all. Punches were thrown. The police did get involved, filed a report, all of that standard procedure. Charges were not filed, but the Chiefs were notified. Chiefs brass asked Hunt about it and he said it was no big deal.

Fast forward to today.

TMZ releases a video of precisely what the police registered and Hunt relayed. It goes viral. The Chiefs are then pressed for more information about what they knew and they tell us that Hunt lied. He first goes on some special suspension, then the Chiefs release him.

This makes me sick.

What makes me sick is not what Hunt did. Yes, I guess I must make the disclaimer that I do not approve of what Hunt did. I don't in any way. But this is precisely a huge part of the problem here. One of the reasons I did not watch the video is it is not up to me to decide what happens with Hunt. When did the court of public opinion become judge, jury, and executioner? Okay, don't answer that, it's been that way for millennia.

It's just with cameras and microphones everywhere and rabid social media mavens covering the planet, you'd better watch what you do and say. 1984 never looked so good.

So yeah, with that disclaimer in mind -- What-Hunt-did-was-indeed-a-very-bad-thing -- what, tell me, is the purpose of TMZ? I can't think of a more puke organization than this one or more reprehensible individuals as those watch it and enjoy it. If what Kareem Hunt did falls on the behavior scale of a legitimately prosecutorial offense, then law enforcement would have and should have done its job -- back in February. Since they didn't charge him or arrest him or do anything that demonstrated this incident was something to be fully addressed for justice to be adequately carried out, why is anything happening now eight months after the fact?!

TMZ is that august organization that snatches up any and all video audio anything it can splash before the slavering public to humiliate people. Sure there are boorish ding-dong celebrities out there, but even they should be afforded the dignity TMZ cares nothing about. Sorry but TMZ and anyone who wants to do what they do should themselves be prosecuted, if anything censured for their moronic activity. For those who don't get it, I said censured not censored, although why must I clarify that as if "FREEDOM OF SPEECH" means its okay to ruin people's lives with camera footage.

But Kareem Hunt did a bad thing! I hear screeching across the airwaves. Yes, he did, but did he really lie about it? Maybe to him it was just a scuffle and that's it. Just between them. He's good, she's good -- maybe that's what Hunt genuinely felt about the incident. I'm not justifying the action in any way, and Hunt should have known better. But could he have been sincere in how he initially responded?

No, the real disappointment was Clark Hunt being a ding-dong just a couple hours ago by flat-out releasing Hunt because he doesn't have the balls to stand up to the TMZ court of fools and the idiot politically correct mob that helps make the wimpy NFL brass so loathsome.

Now there may be things I don't know about this whole incident. Maybe Hunt did something else that was particularly worthy of prosecution. But if this was it? This conduct on the video that the police and district attorneys and any other law enforcement personnel felt unworthy of any procedural action. Kareem Hunt had his due process. Did law enforcement blow it? Maybe, you could make a case for that. But I'm sorry, as it is this is not only a miscarriage of common decency but, yeah...

YET ANOTHER INSIPIDLY ASININE THING TO HAPPEN TO THE CHIEFS.

I wrote a whole blog series about Hunt, just all the stuff revolving around the Lamar/Clark Hunt world that have just wrecked the Chiefs and their success on the football field. Go ahead, if you haven't read the horror story, go ahead, read it. I'm actually quite fair and balanced I think, and still very respectful to the Hunts in it all, considering.

But this? I'm telling you, this steams me, as it should every Chiefs fan.

Clark Hunt, what are you doing.

Yes, Clark Hunt is just as much at fault. He could have looked at the police report. He could have talked to the DA. He could have known everything about what happened. He could have got corroborating reports about the incident and been thoroughly on top of it all from the outset.

He's releasing Kareem Hunt now because he was lied to then? Why didn't you confirm, Clark? If this was going to eventuate into the thing it is tonight, why Clark did you not make sure it wouldn't come to this way back in February?

This is exactly the kind of inane leadership issue with the Chiefs that has driven Chiefs fans crazy for eons. We are some of the most faithful, devoted fans on the planet, and Clark handles the whole affair with an ineptitude that is likely to go down as one of the worst in sports management.

Okay, so what do we have. I know it's hard to do this after witnessing this debacle, and knowing what we've got for an owner, but still, we can ruminate on it. It's what we do.

So anyway, we do have Spencer Ware, so at least there's that. I'd love to see Darrel Williams in there, see what he's got to be honest with you. We'll definitely see a lot more of Damien Williams, and while neither of the Williamses is likely to suddenly be showstoppers, we can hope. And let's hope our fine core QB-WR-TE package can continue to shine.

Now will we make it to the Super Bowl? As I said before, I'm looking to 2020, 2021.

It's looking more like that's the more realistic possibility now that we've lost one of the premier backs in the league.

But if we keep getting the kind of pathetic leadership from Clark like we just saw here, anything in the Chiefs future is going to hurt a lot more than we thought.
___

No comments: