Sunday, January 27, 2019

2019 Starts Today - Let's Roll!

Patrick Mahomes and a bunch of Chiefs are playing in the Pro Bowl right now. I'm not watching it, but I know, because my wife had the game on for a bit, that Mahomes threw a touchdown pass. Anthony Sherman even scored a touchdown. Wow.

Kansas City Chiefs players again doing marvelously in the Pro Bowl. Neat.

They're just not doing it in the Super Bowl -- again.

It is, however, a new day for our Kansas City footballers. And I must say I really like how buoyed the Kingdom is about our prospects. They are indeed very bright. I noted that they interviewed Mahomes at some point this past week and while it was tempting to watch, I didn't. I'd bet he said things like "Tom Brady is a fine quarterback I want to be as successful as him someday," and "Our team has a lot of promise we're all excited," and "We're all dedicated to working hard and improving and we'll get there," and "I like being here at the Pro Bowl this is fun." All good fun fine nice terrific things indeed.

I myself have done the standard yearly grieving about the yet-another crazy-ass stupid loss last Sunday, but I must say in speaking with the dozen or so people who know I'm a Chiefs fan it has been way better than at any other time. Everyone knows we've got a franchise-caliber drafted-and-developed quarterback to go with an extraordinarily well-stocked arsenal of weapons, and we all smile when we speak about the Chiefs. That is awesome, and we all know it -- we've all been able to enjoy that.

This is why right now, after the grieving, we can start to enjoy our legitimate Super Bowl potential right now, and truly revel in it for the entire year.

While that is a wonderful thing indeed, I can't neglect to add this one thing, something I wrote about at length at Arrowhead Pride. It is that it'd be really nice if the NFL actually did the one thing that would keep what happened to the Chiefs and what happened to the Saints from happening ever again. That thing is:

Get two officials in the booth with monitors and original play-calling ability including making calls related to penalties.

Thing is, while I do respect the people who honored me by making comments in that piece, not one of them addressed this main idea. Instead I pretty much got the typical, "You lost, deal with it," or "It's just a game," or "Stop being such a downer." This is just a very small sample, but I wonder: where were the thoughts on the solution? What do people think about that? Are there simply too many people who get caught up in the weeds before addressing the problem? Did anyone actually see what I actually said in the piece?

Yes, the truth of the NFL's duplicity, the officiating ineptitude (or even flat-out duplicity itself), and the conspiracy of large market complicity are all veritable realities. Are there just too many who respond by bleating, "Goodell makes lots of money so what're you going to do," and "The calls all even out" (no, they don't, and Chiefs fans know it too well), and "You're just a tin-foil hat-wearing conspiracy nut."

Except that I have offered the solution, it is right there, and it is extraordinarily reasonable. So what do you think? Why aren't more people talking about it? Why aren't more people on board with it? Why isn't the NFL seriously considering it? I'll spell it out again in bold so there is no mistaking it.

Get two officials in the booth with monitors and original play-calling ability including making calls related to penalties.

People may say it will take too long, they'll makes calls on too many things, too many ticky-tack incidents will be addressed, it'll slow the game down. I really don't think so. To be honest I think the only disadvantage is that the on-field refs may feel inadequate and inadvertently miss calls for fear of too often being overturned by guys in the booth.

The problem is that can still happen with the system we have now. How about we make it so we all get the right call? That's the biggest advantage.

It also removes the whole idiotic "red flag" component, when a coach is the one who has to miraculously divine things to make the call. Often an offense will know their receiver may not have actually made a catch, so they rush to the line to run a play before the coach can throw that red flag. This is just plain stupid.

They already have booth reviews of plays in the last two minutes of each half. Please, once again, how about doing it all the time and include all the things they say shouldn't be included, especially penalties.

Yes, right now I'm psyched about this upcoming football season -- every Chiefs fan is. It is truly delightful, it really is, an entire year of enjoying our future Super Bowl prowess, it'll be fun.

But I'm telling you, I'd like it a lot more if I knew Roger Goodell and the NFL, the officials, and the big-market powers-that-be are a lot less likely to derail our definitively legitimate shot at championship glory. If during the Mahomes tenure a team should overcome us any time and they do it fair and square, fine, I'm never against that, more kudos to them.

But let's make it truly fair.

Will the NFL do that? I don't know, as it is it seems that as everyone is quite excited about the Chiefs next year, could it be possible that the Chiefs are themselves becoming, ::gulp:: a media darling themselves? Sure it's justified when you've got a quarterback like the one we have. But I don't even want any of that to unduly influence or affect what we do legitimately on the football field to win.

Are Chiefs fans as passionate about that, as much as the Saints fans were justifiably livid about the call that went against them? Seems to me New Orleans really went to the mat over their blown call -- but I heard barely anything about the blown call against the Chiefs. It seemed it was all just, "Well I think Dee Ford was offside so, oh well." I'd even heard some Saints fans of some stature ask Roger Goodell to employ Rule 17 Section 2 Article 1 allowing the commissioner to change the game outcome. That, by the way, would be dumb-- the game is done, bad call and all. But what if Goodell actually did that?

Would he have then changed the outcome of the Chiefs game as well?

As much as that'd be cool for Chiefs things -- no. What's done is done.

Thing is...

Are there enough in the Chiefs Kingdom -- indeed throughout the professional football world -- to stand up for our team and what is right and fair for every team in the future?

We can, right now, by insisting the new Chiefs/Saints Officiating Reform Procedure be implemented for 2019.

Get those officials in the booth and doing what's right and correct on the field.

On the other hand... Yes! I do agree! Let's have a Chiefs squad that is so phenomenally good we scorch through the postseason in 2019! No worries about any officiating! Leave no doubt! Let's do that! So for next season and beyond...

Let's roll!
__

No comments: