Thursday, September 05, 2019

Chiefs 2019 Preview - Part X

I've been so busy I can't put in as many Chiefs preview posts as I'd like, but I thought I should make it an even ten posts to close out this off-season's thrilling anticipation of great Chiefs things this year. That's the key thing about this year, is that whatever happens with our Chiefs throughout the season, it has been a blast so far. Just marveling at what Patrick Mahomes is capable of. Just watching Brett Veach work his magic. Just seeing people like Frank Clark come over to give our defense a lift. Just knowing what Andy Reid is doing with the playbook. Just beholding the amazing wide receiver depth we have when we've never had it like this. Just delighting at how we can snatch up someone like LeSean McCoy to help in the backfield.

Sure there is the thought that McCoy isn't what he was, I mean, why did Buffalo let him go? Sure it could be because they want to develop other younger backs, while we're in it to win it this year. But that's just the thing. It has been fun to enjoy just the invigorating nature of this Chiefs off-season knowing what we've got, but after Saturday I know I've got to temper all of that and be real.

This is the NFL.

Teams are filled with really good players and they themselves have good game plans and good coaching and every year there is always some team that surprises everyone, much of it simply because they got the right combination and they've set themselves up to have good things happen for them on the field. I'm sure most Chiefs fans are convinced we'll win every game 45-7, but as I wrote last time, that would not be good as much as we slobber for that. Look for many more 31-28 nail-biters, even losses by those kinds of scores -- and really, those are good things.

I even happened upon an Arrowhead Pride link to an ESPN playoff predictor that had the Chiefs not even making the playoffs. Huh? Are you kidding me? But that's cool. Tempers things a bit so we're not so crushed when the Chiefs lose a game. I am indeed enthralled by all the talk about how Mahomes will be the greatest ever, but hey, let the kid go out and do his thing and appreciate all-things Chiefs whatever happens. Let's have as much fun as he is just slingin' it and competing against the big boys just having fun. Let's even see if we're up to the challenge of late season battles when we're 8-5 and angling to position ourselves for the playoffs. Or as I always have to say to myself...

Embrace the competition.

Yeah I hope Mahomes throws 58 touchdown passes. Yeah I hope the defense returns 17 turnovers for touchdowns. Yeah I hope LeSean McCoy still has it, and if he does, then -- damn... because in his prime he was very good.

So yeah, time to have as much fun as we've had this off-season by actually seeing it all happen on the field.

Chiefs Kingdom!!!
__

No comments: