Sunday, October 27, 2019

Packers at Chiefs - Week 8 - Record: 5-3, Part II

I simply cannot go to bed late at night here without adding this note about tonight's game. I thought I'd do something I'd never done before, just to see. I typed in my search box "Andy Reid 4th & 3." Sure enough I got a twitter-storm of revulsion against Reid's call to punt late in the game tonight.

Completely, wholly justified revulsion.

I rarely look at social media for this kind of thing, I am not much for Twitter. But in cases like this it does instantly provide some kind of idea of what a few people are thinking about regarding something like this. Sure enough, I am just as frustrated with Andy Reid as the rest of the Kingdom. What do you do with someone like that?

He is a genius playmaker. His offense has the best pro football weapons in the universe. Matt Moore is not a great quarterback -- please, no offense, his pro football acumen has served him very well with this offense, kudos to him for that -- but Moore has weapons at his fingertips like he has never seen before. Tyreek Hill alone had the Packers totally on their heels tonight, as a feature of their game plan.

So yeah, I did very prominently think one of the key things I saw tonight in that tweet-storm of exasperation: We all know why Andy Reid has no rings.

Really. He just doesn't have the balls. The Chiefs have had just as good a team as the Patriots for years now, and in that time -- while Reid's been in KC -- Bill Belichick has three rings. It is simple. It is because he knows how to go for the jugular with what he has and he has always done that.

Here's the thing. Maybe Reid'll finally learn from this. Maybe he'll finally finally finally rise up and make a good, solid, bold, courageous decision late in a critical playoff game that actually does get us the dubya in a game decided by a touchdown or less. He absolutely must because, here's the main thing. When you think about it, not only does this one single move cost us this game, not only does it show us that he still hasn't learned -- but probably the worst thing of all is the message it sent to all those amazing players on offense.

I really really really hurt for the Kingdom right now thinking about what Hill, and Watkins, and Kelce, now this phenomenal rookie Hardman, and all the other fine offensive players are thinking -- Damien Williams even, who came in and played lights out football in the 2nd half. What they are thinking right now feeling that their coach can't trust them to do what his already splendid playmaking is helping them make happen.

I don't know. I wasn't going to be too upset that we lost this game as the Packers are pretty good and we're just waiting for Patrick to return. That's cool.

But this -- this is still just really disconcerting, it really is.

It always has been.
__

No comments: