Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Back to Earth

The Kingdom is still thriving, yes, and it is looking really bright for another season indeed.

But a number of things have happened just recently that take a bit of the shiny veneer off the Super Bowl aura.

First, not a couple of hours ago it was reported that Bashaud Breeland has gotten into some serious trouble with the law. Major drug offenses are involved. I'm sure he's as good as gone. And it was just a month ago we signed him and were stoked that this shaky feature of our defense was at least a bit left positively intact. It isn't that the player as a human isn't infinitely more important, and I pray the best for Bashaud and hope whatever happens will make him a better person, and that his family is safe and healthy through all of it.

Second, the draft. It was a joy to indulge a bit with this stuff, even watching us select a running back in the first round which I'd said we shouldn't do. Apparently though this dude from LSU is supposed to be phenomenal, and when I look at the tape he reminds me of Le'Veon Bell. Wow, if he becomes that kind of back, then we'll put up 50 every game. Otherwise being Super Bowl Champions makes the draft a thorough joy because the idea is if we even do modestly well we'll have improved. It seems Brett and Andy did pretty decently with the picks we had, and we even got a couple of very speedy cornerbacks to counter the AFC West teams trying to pick up some speed for their own wide receivers. Bring it!

Third, and I wanted to save this for last: Dustin Colquitt was released. He had a big contract and it is hard to justify a punter taking up so much cap space, I understand. Just for the record I hate the cap, I hate it with a passion and always will, but Brett has managed it well. That also means letting go amazingly amazing players like Dustin Colquitt.

I remember the time when the Chiefs were generally miserable and I'd mention our best player was Dustin Colquitt. Please, this wasn't so much a knock against everyone else on the team, but a sincere shout out to our punter. Funny, with our offense so explosive, it is as if we really didn't need him much any more.

I looked something up online, however, after seeing posted on Twitter a highlight of him booming a 77-yarder against Denver -- hmm, I wonder where that particular punt ranks on the list of longest punts? Well there's the Jets Steve O'Neal's punt of 98 yards at the top. There are a couple other 90+ers, and a number of 80+ers.

Colquitt had six 70+ers. Six! I looked up other fine punters, like Andy Lee who had five, Johnny Hekker has had only two. As far as I could tell no one's had more than Dustin. Shane Lechler had three. Ray Guy had four, and he's the only pure punter in the NFL Hall of Fame.

I really think Colquitt should be there, for sure. He was one of the very best at getting punts downed inside the 20, I think I saw he was third on the all-time list.

Yeah, he is a future Hall-of-Famer. He truly deserves it.
___

No comments: