Monday, November 01, 2021

Giants at Chiefs - Week Eight - Record: 4-4

This very day is the 11th anniversary of my baseball team, the San Francisco Giants, winning the World Series for the first time ever in The City. It was a joyous day.

This is why it is kind of funny to watch my football team, the Kansas City Chiefs playing the pro football team named the Giants.

Still.

Errgh.

Errgh errgh errgh.

This game was stupendously aggravating. We should have won going away 34-10, but barely eeked out a 20-17 win. We had 12 penalties tonight, yet on our last FG drive we were bailed out by a couple of critical Giants penalties to keep things going so we could kick in what would-be the game-winner.

I could say a ton about this game, and may still post my mid-season report that elucidates the one key thing that I believe this Chiefs team is simply not the same one that left the field there after the AFC Championship win over the Bills last season.

That's for later. For now it's late for me, I'm tired, this game was utterly draining, I have work tomorrow -- all that.

I went ahead and charted every possession in my notes, and I could just transcribe it all, but again, whew. I will tell you I had a bunch of sad faces, but also a bunch of happy faces. Our team is still very talented and showed that talent out there tonight. To wit:

Happy faces: Hardman, Hill, Gore, Williams, Clark, Jones, Gay, Bolton, Butker... and I'm sure there are at least half-a-dozen other players who played well and hard to pull out this win. There were plenty, that's great.

The most rotten ugly gruesome drawn faces? Right there next to any stupid penalty, stupid turnover, stupid stupid thing that was happening all night long.

And hate to say it, but this is a heads-up to what I really think the issue is, and that is Andy Reid. Hate to say it, but the buck stops there. As a team we still look like very unsharp, undisciplined, unadjusted.

Here, here's a good one. Why was Derrick Gore in there being amazing mid-game, then in the second half he was barely touching the ball? This was a point just made by the television commentator talking about the Chiefs woes. Great point that.

What's with that, Andy Reid?

Of course now they're telling us the Chiefs have the most difficult schedule for the rest of the season, by far. That's nice.

Actually, that's nice, because really, let's face it, at this point we have nothing to lose, and if we do make a playoff run it will be because we've earned it. That's nice actually.

But it will mean squat unless that thing is fixed.

(Ah, I can't help but add what Ryan Clark is saying right now as I finish up this post, there on the ESPN broadcast review of the game. Damn. It is exactly what I am saying about our wonderful team... Stay tuned...)

___

The photo is from Andrew Mather at the official Chiefs website. Thank you.

___

No comments: