Sunday, October 22, 2006

Chargers at Chiefs - Week 7 - Record: 3-3

I must say that it was extraordinarily thrilling to see Lawrence Tynes kick that 53 yarder with six seconds left to win it. Especially after a false start penalty just before took it out five more yards. And even more especially after watching Damon Huard lead the drive, connecting on some clutch passes to get us in field goal range.

But it should never have come down to that. Tynes himself atoned for a missed PAT earlier, and I thought, hmm, he missed the PAT on the third TD we made in last year's Chargers game at Arrowhead. This time it almost came back to kill us.

We also had a 20-3 lead at that point, with our defense playing great again. Ah but the Chargers are a good team, and they took it to us in the second half.

I must say that I was pleased to see us really use Tony Gonzalez much more. The guy is an phenomenal weapon if we just use him. I also think the defense can be very good, and I believe some of what we gave up was a result of that youthful exuberance that can hurt you.

I'm still concerned about the O-line. There were just too many times it didn't protect Huard and didn't get Johnson loose. Should I complain? Huard did have the clutch last minute drive and Johnson did rush for over a hundred on the day.

Needless to say we are also playing some of the best teams in the NFL right out of the gate. We get Seattle next week. While it was far too close than it should have been, we still got a win against one of them today and that's what we'll need to do if we expect to contend.

No comments: