Monday, October 09, 2006

Chiefs at Cardinals - Week 5 - Record: 2-2

When are these defenses going to stop trying to take our best guys' heads off? The NFL has all kinds of penalties to protect people, why aren't they applying them on our behalf? First Trent Green, now Larry Johnson.

Let me say that I didn't see yesterday's game, because my 10 year-old son's flag football game was scheduled at exactly the same time as the Chiefs game. I did note just before I left that we'd quickly put ourselves in a 14-0 hole. I came back and saw that we'd won 23-20! (It was a good day all around, my son's team won 26-25.)

Anyway, I looked over the game stats and saw that Johnson had a 78 yard pass reception, and that in the last drive before the game-winning FG, we'd gone 85 yards in 5 plays, something like that. Had to have been there. Turns out one of my students today (all of them know I'm a maniacal Chiefs fan) tells me that an Arizona defender grabbed Johnson's mask and almost took his head off. That to me is just one thing that can't be tolerated-- some day a player is going to be made a quadriplegic. Any flagrant face-masker has got to be fined, suspended-- in fact there also ought to be a "break-away foul," much like the in NBA when you get the basket and the ball. How about we get the touchdown?

Now I don't really know, I didn't see the play. I'd like to think that whatever the case, we'd be fired up a bit more, teach them not to disrespect us out on the field.

As we go through the season I'm looking for the answers to those three key questions. I'm passing for now on the "keeping our noses clean" item because I'm just not paying any attention to the police blotter stuff--again, I only watch or listen to the game when it is on. That's why this blog is the "Chiefs Game Today."

But the other two:

- The O-line. The not-so-good was that Larry Johnson got only 36 yards rushing. Hmm. But the good is that it looked like Huard was protected decently. He had an okay day passing and was only sacked a couple of times.

- The Dee. We gave up those first two early TD's when the Cardinals had a short field, one on a good kick return and the other on a QB fumble. After that we thoroughly shut the Cardinals down. Still, in four games we've only allowed a single long TD drive, that one to Cincinnati. Is this for real? We'll still have to see. A better test is next week against Pittsburgh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agree on the face mask!!! Was really bad, should have been kicked out of the game, would have been a TD.

Johnson fumbled leading to the 1st score. Which was really poorly defended!

Go Chiefs!!! Uncle mike