Sunday, December 31, 2006

Jaguars at Chiefs - Week 17 - Record: 9-7 - Part I

Aaaagh! WE'RE STILL IN THIS THING! Can you believe it?

For the 10 am (PST) slate of games we needed three results, and got them all! (1) We beat Jacksonville, more on that later, in Part II. (2) New England put it to Tennessee. And this year (3) Pittsburgh did what we wanted! They had to beat Cincinnati, and how sweet that was considering what the Bengals unapologetically did to Trent Green in that first game of the season.

Thing was, while I'm watching us hold off Jacksonville, I've got my eye on that Pit-Cin game and note that the Bengals had gotten deep into Steeler territory with the game tied and seconds left. That's it, I'm thinking, we're done-- but then! The guy misses the field goal! Wow-oh-wow-oh-wow.

Pittsburgh then gets the ball for OT, and from about their own 30, Pittsburgh's QB dumps off a slant to a guy who races all the way for a TD!!! My 10 year-old son and I are screaming as this guy Holmes races down the sideline, the 40, 30, 20, 10-- dives into the endzone! Touchdown-- and the Chiefs are still alive!

Being an impassioned Chiefs fan I can't deny I'm thrilled. For another three hours at least our team is on the lips of NFL'ers the world around. Yes, we've still got to pray for a Niners miracle win in Denver (a 1 pm PST game), but for now,

Wow.

No comments: