Sunday, December 03, 2006

Chiefs at Browns - Week 13 - Record: 7-5

Well, it's official. About as official as you're going to get.

We aren't contenders.

Call me an anti-Pollyanna curmudgeon of the worst kind, but really, what do you want? I'd kinda like to win the Super Bowl. I know there are some who'd be tickled just to finish the season with a winning record, but me, I'd like us to go all the way. I dunno, call me crazy.

But the fact is, Super Bowl teams don't blow 28-14 leads in the fourth quarter. (This was against a 3-8 team!) I just can't help but think that our age has to be a factor. We could virtually do what we wanted through three quarters, but after that-- a set of offensive series that included one in overtime-- we couldn't do diddly. Our defense wilted. I actually thought that having Trent Green out for the first half of the season would make him fresh for the second half, but he just couldn't get it done in the second half of the second half of today's game.

Why am I surprised? I should've known our inability to put games away would come back to whack us. We couldn't do it against San Diego, Seattle, or St. Louis, but we barely eeked out wins. This one we lost. Needless to say this should say something about our stamina-- our ability to finish. It's just not there.

Today I actually had to step away from this one right after we marched down the field for a TD on that terrific 99-yard drive. We had to go to my son's last flag football game of the season, and so the whole time I'm thinking, "Woo-hoo, we've got them now. Our dee should be able to close it out. This 8-4 team has got a chance now. We can show we can do well on the road. Awright."

But then I see the score when I get home. But yeah, again, why am I surprised?

Now we're 7-5 (two losses in OT BTW) and now drowning in a conference of 10-2 teams. I saw a news tease the other day that said an NFC team with a losing record could make the playoffs.

Well, sorry, that's just a concern of those who get giddy for a playoff spot. Whee.

For me, well, I'll just watch to see if Herm can do more magic with what's left.

No comments: