Friday, November 24, 2006

Broncos at Chiefs - Week 12 - Record: 7-4

A long time ago I'd heard that we'd be playing a Thanksgiving day game. Woo-hoo, I thought, that'll be great, it'll be televised and I can watch it with my family. Then I noted it would be against the Broncos, and thought, "Hmm, usually only the Lions and Cowboys get those days' games..." Then I caught that this game would be the first NFL Network game, and I went "Un-kay, it'll be on cable."

Thing is, a week ago I learned that the NFL Network isn't on many of the cable systems, including that of my sister-in-law's where we were enjoying the holiday. Great. This is precisely what I had feared in my gut. Here we've got a nationally televised game at home against a division rival and we can't see it.

The fact that we played really well didn't make it any better-- I wanted to see it! Getting what I know from a few periodic checks on the web, it looked like we did what we should have done in the game at Denver earlier in the year. Our defense was stellar yet again, and this time we got that clutch touchdown that kept us in charge of a predictably low scoring game. Our last drive before the half was an 88-yarder that featured some solid yardage plays and put us up 10-3. We got three more field goals in the second half, moving the ball well each time to keep the Broncos on their heels, finally finishing with the 19-10 win.

It was good to see Tony Gonzalez back and really getting into the mix as he should. Larry Johnson got his routine 100+ yards rushing against a good Denver defense. Trent Green really seemed to be getting back into the rhythm of things and the O-line protected him well considering its condition.

Is Herm Edwards working some magic to get this team into real contention in the very tough AFC? We've now got a nice ten day break until the next game which will be critical-- Cleveland on the road, a game we have to win with that road game against first place San Diego looming.

No comments: