Thursday, October 11, 2012

Ravens at Chiefs - The Final Word(s)

So much was obviously eventful Sunday that I've got to take one last Chiefs Game Today post to pack it all in. My first visit to Arrowhead since 1987 coinciding with the major news story about a few embarrassing Chiefs fans spouting off was at the top of the list. But I did want to get a few other things down, and in the interest of brevity I'll preface each with some of the considered opening lines I thought I'd use for the single post I was hoping to write, and then provide the key thoughts in each.

"Bring back the replacement refs!" One of the most prominent features of this game was the absolutely wretched calls by the refs. I always knew that bringing back the regulars would mean much more of what they are so good at, overofficiating. Some of the most egregious calls, of course, went against us, and they really did cost us the game. Oh there were a lot of things we were responsible for, definitely, but here was the ugly:

- The non-pass-interference call against Jon Baldwin. Late in the game he was totally mugged on a sideline route that clearly worked against him trying to grab the pass. Thing is, I believe if Cassel had thrown the ball better, it would've been an easier call for the official to make.

- The touchdown pass from Quinn to Bowe nullified because it was interpreted that Dexter McCluster picked Bowe's defender. It looked to me like McCluster was just running his route. The refs called that against us once earlier in the game, too, but never mind that the Falcons did that exact same thing to us in the first game but the referees seemed to not mind much then.

- The non-fumble by Joe Flacco when he was still moving forward. Yes I know it could be considered that he was "in the grasp," and I'm great with that rule designed to protect the quarterback, but the fact is it is never called. It just never is. If he wasn't "in the grasp," then why did the refs blow the whistle? Ahh, yes, forgot, they're the regular refs.

"300 games without a playoff win" My cousin living near Kansas City put up a great Reddit piece about who our starting QB's have been since we last won a playoff game. It is a splendid augmentation to The Quarterback Project, but the other notable thing was that streak of games-sans-a-playoff-win. Well, Sunday's game was the 300th in the streak.

It was funny, during the game announcer Mitch Holthus was honored for working his 300th Chiefs game. "Guh?" I said to myself. I'm sure his streak didn't start with the Buffalo playoff loss in 1994 and instead included lots of exhibition games. But still, I couldn't help but think that Holthus' ancestors had to have first built their homes on the sacred burial grounds of the American Indians before Arrowhead was built there.

"The Unimaginarium of Romeo Crennel" Throughout the game I was going crazy wondering why our head coach doesn't mix it up. It was Charles right, Draughn left, Draughn right, Charles left. How about some play action that would've easily frozen the Ravens defense? Come on Romeo! Or come on Brian Daboll our offensive coordinator! What's with you?!! The worst was the end of a terrific drive in the middle of the first half when we got into Ravens territory only to see Shaun Draughn carry the ball three straight times. Errrrck...

Of course you can't deny that some of their timidity was because they just have no confidence in their passer, and if that's the case, then again, what is Matt Cassel doing in there? It is funny (just one more word on the Matt Cassel incident) at the rental car place before the game I was talking Chiefs with the guy there, and the Brady-replacing-Bledsoe thing came up and I mentioned, "But come on, do we have to have Cassel get injured to get someone who can't be any worse in there?" Yes, when Cassel was on the turf I did think about that, and after praying for our quarterback I also thought "Shame on the Chiefs management for actually letting it come to this."

But then that's why the sentiment is quite pronounced to fire Scott Pioli. I'm going to have to get back to him in another post.

"The Red and Gold Tailgating and Hall of Honor Extravaganza" I have to conclude with mention of the whole Arrowhead experience.

I knew the tailgating would be extraordinary, but I didn't know how thoroughly wall-to-wall it was. I mean you simply could not walk anywhere in the parking lot without swimming through an ocean of tailgaters. It was a lot of fun mixing it up with a lot of them. And all the Chiefs-mobiles and teepees and crazy outfits -- it was a blast!

Then there was the Hall of Honor. How great was that. Just seeing this state-of-the art Chiefs museum was incredible. I don't know how many other stadiums have such a place for their teams, but this was special for a number of reasons.

First, the Super Bowl Trophy was there. Getting my picture next to it was one of my top goals for the day. And I did!

Second, there was a whole exhibit about the AFL. How awesome was that! In respect to all the teams the Chiefs played against in the historic league they had helmets and artifacts from those teams prominently on display. Yes -- gulp -- even the Raiders were featured! Now that's class.

And third, this one was about the Chiefs. All their great players and games and historic events were showcased. And it was just beautifully done.

I must also add that I was able to enjoy getting nachos way high up in Arrowhead's new addition on the west side of the stadium, and got to behold the city and the state of Kansas on this gorgeous sunny day through brilliant picture windows stretching from floor to ceiling.

There is no question Chiefs fans have it made. No matter what they think of the quarterback or the management or anything else Chiefs, they are very privileged to gloriously benefit from a Chiefs organization that does think tremendously highly of them.

Thank you Eric Winston and anyone else who sticks up for the Chiefs, for your principled resolve. Maybe some who don't know that true Chiefs commitment and devotion will see it and appreciate it.

(Oh, yeah! And one last thing! Michael MacCambridge's much-anticipated biogaphy on Lamar Hunt just came out -- appropriately for such a time as this! I haven't got it yet but will soon!)
_

No comments: