Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Ravens at Chiefs - The Game Continues

I can't help but continue this ongoing blog post in response to the events of Sunday. I've rarely ever done more than one blog post per game, just offering my humble take, getting it all down and then done. Sometimes the take is a bit more elaborate than others, other times it is briefer, even terse. But this is a special circumstance, not just because I was at the game in person, but because of the apparently much wider attention this game has received.

As you know I go out of my way to deliberately avoid giving attention to any sports news other than what happens during that three hour time span on Sunday. I do this in large part to keep my sanity. Because of that I've not seen or heard anything about those events.

And yet my Chiefs radar can't help but pick up, from a couple of random sources, that the injured Cassel vs. the irate fans rhubarb has indeed ascended to national news coverage.

I love Chiefs coverage in the national news. That's awesome. But this...

This is just the worst.

That a smattering of idiots who cheer an unconscious Matt Cassel can captivate the mainstream media who'll only use this to try to show what an idiotic place all of Kansas City is. That's simply what I'm thinking is happening.

Now again, I don't know a thing about what's being shared out there -- in a very profound sense I really don't want to know. I did catch that one of our offensive linemen (the people who shared this with me did not know who it was) gave quite a tongue-lashing to those idiot fans, as well he should. Good for him. And good for him to have a platform to stand up for his teammate.

But here's the thing. And this is an honest question from an inquisitive fan who just doesn't know -- and in a sense is in the best position to sincerely ask the question:

Who are the people who are the ones being interpreted to be there at the business end of the lashing?

Was this lineman (okay okay, I looked it up just now...) Was Eric Winston perceived as having at it with those particular fans?

Or was all of this attention made to look like all Chiefs fans are a bunch of brainless cretins?

I'm not even trying to say I'm all Mr. Ultracongenialspecialdude. But I will say that Sunday I met a whole bunch of people much like many Kansas Citians I know who love the Chiefs, cheer the Chiefs, and actually have some modicum of liking for each Chiefs player out there trying to do the very best he can including Matt Cassel.

Those fans cheering Cassel's misfortune are only linked to us by similar red and gold attire. It'd be nice if they grew up, and I'd love to have a gentle but firm word with them too. Not just about their idiocy but about any antagonism they'd have to Winston calling them out. Sorry, but take it as it's meant and get a clue. None of us want Cassel starting at quarterback. All of us want Pioli to admit he made a mistake and get over it.

But at the least all of them are still doing their job as they know best to win games for the Chiefs.

Just looking at this game I really do feel this could be a special game for the Chiefs as a team. I think the players and coaches could see this as a critical rallying point.

Regarding the game, seeing that they did actually play very well against a very good team in spite of those ugly ref calls.

And regarding the Cassel thing, seeing that they notice waaay more Chiefs fans mature and dignified enough to know better and who do really care deeply about how all of them do. And not just as players but as people.

And regarding this AFC West, come on, this thing is still up for grabs, people!

More to come in my next "Ravens at Chiefs" post!
_

No comments: