Monday, September 28, 2015

Chiefs at Packers - Week 3 - Record: 1-2

I'm just going to start this post mid-3rd-quarter. This is yet another late night showcase game, this one a Monday Night Football affair against the Packers. Yet again I've got work early in the morning, and I might as well blow this baby out.

As it is this one's shaping into a real embarrassment for the Chiefs. We're still barely in it, down 24-7, but Aaron Rodgers has been carving us up. He is the best quarterback in the NFL, so we shouldn't be too disappointed.

I remember when the 49ers were so dominant with Joe Montana at quarterback, and I thrilled at his ability to make plays. I sometimes thought, I sure am glad I'm not a fan of the opposing team. I sure am glad Joe Montana is on my team.

Well, I have to think Packers fans often think that regarding Aaron Rodgers.

So far though, my thoughts.

I can't believe this Packers team has all the injuries they have and they're still putting it to us. I'd heard they had all these injuries before the game, and they were having Packers drop left and right during the game, yet they are still thoroughly dominating us. You know how some games feel like the other team has 14 players on the field while you've only got 9? This is one of those games. In fact, the Chiefs have already been called for two penalties for having 12 men on the field. So I'm sure we're thinking maybe we could get a few more guys out there to be able to beat these guys.

But then, I think you could have a Pop Warner team out there with Aaron Rodgers and he'll still find a way to win.

Just now Alex Smith threw his first strike to Jeremy Maclin, and he drops it. Meanwhile, the Packers go-to guy, Randall Cobb, has already caught something like 57 passes, I'm sure it's something close to that.

Annnnnd... Alex Smith just throws a pick, on a play that (a) he broke out of the end zone to have the golden opportunity to throw it to a wide open receiver, and (b) our O-line was flagged for holding.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd... there's Randall Cobb getting a quick pass in the flat and scoring. How many hundreds of Jeremy Maclin plays do we have like that?

I really don't think I'm going to post much more about this unless we have some miraculous comeback. This is a terrific disappointment especially after every single indication was that we'd actually not only compete but win this game.  But then, having to rely on a bunch of Packer injuries to think you have a chance is not very encouraging.

This team has to defeat teams that are good to be a contender. Meanwhile, our offensive line has been abysmal tonight, our wide receivers are invisible (what's new), our pass defense has been shredded (but hey, Aaron Rodgers), and our D-line has been shoved up and down the field.

I must tell you that there is one individual I'm starting to get a bit cool too, and I'm sorry, but that is Andy Reid. Yeah, he can call great plays and be a player's coach, but I'm afraid of the worst, and that is that he just isn't the guy to bring that one thing we need.

You know what it is.

The got-it.

It is obvious.

The Packers have got-it smothered all over them. I mean, really, who are these guys? The number of times they said this Packer or that Packer is some free agency pick-up or some released guy snatched off the reject pile or someone like that and yet, they're making our full collection of healthy 1st round draftees look silly.

That's because they've got got-it.

And I'm very very very very very sorry, but let's face it, let's be perfectly honest.

We've just not got it. We just don't.

I mean, the Rodgers connections to his receivers (and none of them are Jordy Nelson! Just doesn't matter!) is like they're psychic -- no, that's just got-it. They've got it.

Oh how much I long for our Chiefs to have got-it. Ohhh. And I really don't have any idea when we're ever going to get it. And here's the thing, I do believe that much of the got-it must come from the head coach. Do you really see the got-it coming from Andy Reid?

Please know I'm not giving up on him yet, at all. But, I mean, come on, is there really any reason this what-we-all-reasonably-believe-is-a pretty decent Chiefs team is looking like it is playing with 9 guys against a team of 14?

At least, for me anyway, there were these two brief moments tonight when the MNF people graced us with two features of players from two of my other favorite teams, the Golden State Warriors and San Francisco 49ers, who have/had planet-loads of got-it -- Steph Curry (comparing his quickness and accuracy with that of Aaron Rodgers) and Joe Montana (comparing his footwork with Rodgers'). And hey, aficionados of all things Kansas City, the announcers did give a brief nod to a team that definitely has some got-it, baseball's Royals, who're storming their way back into the playoffs this year. At least there's that.

Wait.

And what about that. Whaddya know.

Smith to Maclin -- Touchdown Kansas City.

How about that. A wide receiver touchdown catch. Yay!!!
__

Nkay, a whole quarter later, and for a while there the Chiefs played with some ganas. How about that. We never gave up, we got close to being within a single score in a game the Packers utterly dominated -- very proud of our Chiefs.

Maybe there are the seeds of some meaningful got-it.

Don't get me wrong.

I'd so love to see that.
__

No comments: