Sunday, December 13, 2015

Chargers at Chiefs - Week 14 - Record: 8-5 - Part I

I'm waxing a bit philosophical these days, as I'm wont to do every December. Every December is spent in great contemplative mode, when our Chiefs set their sights on next year's draft, flail about making a run at a playoff spot they won't get, or position themselves for that secured playoff game that... well, I'll leave it at that for now.

Recently I very briefly happened to come across a couple references on some Chiefs newsgroup from a number of fans having some measure of appreciation for the 2005 season. I confess I do too, not just because it was the season I started this blog enterprise. There was that nifty opening day win against the Jets. There was that nice beat down of Tom Brady and the Patriots at Arrowhead. We took down the Raiders twice, we blasted the Texans at their place, and when the Broncos came to town Larry Johnson scored the game-winning touchdown in the 4th to put us at 8-4 on the year. There was Trent, and Dante, and it was D.J.'s rookie year. There was that great line anchored by Willie and Will, all under the brilliant tutelage of Dick Vermeil.

I remember seeing "The Playoff Picture" chart -- you know, the same one they show you every ten minutes around this time -- on the television of the pizza place where my son was having his soccer team's after-the-season party. There it was: "Chiefs 8-4" and firmly holding on to one of the playoff spots. How proud I was.

Little did I know at the time that the Chiefs would go on to lose nasty games at Dallas and New York the next two weeks. We did go 2-2 the rest of the way, finishing 10-6, and you'd think that'd've put us into that coveted playoff spot. 10-6, that's good enough isn't it? Rarely do teams with that record fail the make the playoffs.

Alas, the Steelers were at 7-5 at that time, and they ran the table, not only going 4-0 to finish at 11-5 and edge us for the final playoff spot, but also going on to win the whole thing that year.

Errgh.

Are the Steelers charmed or something?

And the Chiefs?...

I bring this up because this year, at least with the records, it looks eerily similar to 2005. The 2015 Chiefs are right there, right now holding on to the first wild-card playoff spot. We're 8-5, just like in 2005. Buuut... There are the Steelers, at 8-5, right now outside looking in by virtue of the Chiefs tie-breaker advantage. It'd be nice to have a shot at the Broncos for the AFC West outright, but that's a stretch -- just like it was in 2005.

Are you confident this year it'll be different? Are you not confident?

What is it?

Thing is, there are a million things that enter into this equation.

A million turgid yet wonderful, difficult yet engaging, perplexing yet enlightening philosophical types-of-things that enter into this equation.

I want to write about all of them right here.

But because I have a job, and that job is being a teacher, and this week is the last week my students have for the present semester, I am indeed swamped with work today. Over the course of this week it'll be waaay better!

So please, stay tuned. I'll have the meat of the post in a "Part II" later.

Again, I wonder.

How confident?...
__

No comments: