Sunday, December 03, 2017

Chiefs at Jets - Week 13 - Record: 6-6

The nightmare continues. It's just like 1998. We had a decent team and looked the part halfway through the season, then we imploded. Or you know? I'm thinking too it is like 2011, when we just had so little discipline. That's one of the horrific features of this team, it is just not very disciplined. And I thought Andy Reid was all over that. Guess not.

I really like Marcus Peters, even his passion for the game that gets him in trouble. I wish more Chiefs players had that fire. But that episode at the end of the game when he left because he thought he was ejected but wasn't is inexcusable. Please, Marcus Peters, keep fighting the good fight, but please, Andy Reid! What is wrong with you that you can't control these guys, get more of them to play with that kind of passion, and for cryin' out loud move an entire team to play to their potential?

I didn't see any of the 1st half of this one, and I came in with a few minutes left in the 3rd. Right when I turned on the television Smith hit Hill with a long 70+ touchdown pass. Yay. Thing is, later when we needed a crucial 3rd down -- with only a yard to go, Smith through an incomplete pass to the offensive tackle.

That's what this team has become. It really hurts to see this team has become the top embarrassment of the NFL. Remember just a few weeks ago? 5-0 record? High atop everyone's power rankings list? We're all Super Bowl-bound and all that? ::Sigh::

In fact I was thinking, since I started this blog in 2005 I've never missed watching a Chiefs game except for a handful of times. I missed a game in 2008 because of a Thanksgiving week vacation with extended family. I missed one in 2012 for the same reason. But I've pretty much seen in some form every single game.

Right now I don't care to see any of them until we put Pat Mahomes in. Seriously. This has just become preposterous -- it is just painful to watch these guys. I haven't any idea what we did for two-and-a-half quarters of football today, and I don't even care.

I mean I think back to 2012 when I saw every game except that one I just mentioned. We were horrible, it was a horrible horrible season, but I watched them all just the same. Just to see if we could do anything well for once -- just to cheer to the few unexpectedly fine things our Chiefs did. I have to admit that win in New Orleans, one of only two we got on the year, was actually memorable, pleasantly so, it really was.

I think to 2011 when we started gruesomely, but then picked it up a bit. We finished 7-9, amazingly, with that team? At least there was that tough grinding game late in the year when we splendidly beat an undefeated Green Bay team, remember that?

There is just no reason to watch the Chiefs right now. I just don't care.

They are a train wreck. I will always root for my Chiefs and watch them when I can however I can, but this is a severely underperforming team in so many ways. I'd love to do the standard -- well, what was good about them. Why. Doesn't change the reality of where we stand.

And for those who'd scream in their abject denial in that we're still in first place -- well, after today tied for first after Oakland beats the New York Giants 87-3 and Los Angeles beats the Browns 102-0, all sporting pathetic 6-6 records I might add -- I could rattle off a dozen different things in this game that prove that this team is a slow-motion train wreck happening before our very eyes.

I mean really, I just don't know, I mean I really don't know what all those wins from when we were 1-5 in '15 to being 5-0 in '17 really mean. Were they just a fantasy? Were they just setting us up for the time when we'd be exposed as not much of a team at all?

There are dozens of things we could say about this or that, certainly. Much more will be said, and I fully appreciate those who will be honest and not try to sugarcoat it. But again, it comes down to two characters, and we know who they are.

Andy Reid and Alex Smith.

I confess there have been a lot of times we have mentioned -- me in this blog before for sure -- what to do about those guys when they've inexplicably messed things up badly. But really, this was the year they were supposed to be decent enough to win and win well. We all saw the talent this team had. I mean, Andy Reid - Coach Extraordinaire! And Alex Smith - Spectacular Quarterback Finally Coming Into His Own! After a 5-0 start we all thought yeah! Finally!

But what we all saw on the field today simply can't be lost on Clark Hunt.

What'll he do? Not only has Andy Reid not gotten Alex Smith to win, not only has Andy Reid not gotten Alex Smith to get the job done in the clutch when it is most needed -- like today, and last week, and yeah, the week before that -- but he has lost control of the team, has lost the confidence of a team that recognizes he just doesn't put his faith in them to get the job done. Of course I don't know what's going on down there on the field directly, but I see it in their eyes -- you can just see it.

These players loathe how things are progressing. You can't miss it! The exasperation, the aggravation, the resignation -- right now it is smothering the Chiefs Kingdom.

So bottom line, just like last week's assessment, it can't be all bad. For review:

1. Smith stays in and actually wins games -- not a bad thing in that we're winning games.

2. Mahomes goes in and wins games -- the best of them all because we can then see he's a fine quarterback -- drafted, developed, youthful and athletic with a bright future of winning games.

3. Mahomes goes in and stinks -- not a bad thing in that he'll get reps, get that feel, get the experience to win us a Super Bowl later -- that's cool if we see it start to unfold now.

4. Smith stays in and stinks -- not a bad thing in that there'll be more proof that Mahomes must be in.

Thing is, this last one took a huge hit because our defense played so awfully today, sooo what's Reid going to do? You know what he'll do, and it makes you want to pull your hair out if you have any left. He's going to go to that lectern after the game -- he's probably doing it right now as I write -- and say "It's not Alex Smith's fault, it's the fault of all of us and we need to step it up."

::Ker-blyahh::

So yeah, it seems the only thing left to be said is when is Pat Mahomes going in, again, when is that?... When -- today? Okay is it today, huh huh huh? No, okay HOWABOUTTODAY???

Except that the other thing that must be being thought about more, and more and more and more -- and I simply can't believe this isn't on the minds of, oh, say, 99.4% of Chiefs fans at least the ones not in denial, is, when is Clark going to take care of business and summarily address Andy Reid's train wreck?

Could it be, could we possibly see what could be called the "nuclear option"?

Hello, may I speak to Matt Nagy, please?...
__

No comments: