Sunday, November 05, 2023

Dolphins at Chiefs in Frankfurt Germany - Week 9 - Record: 7-2

I will confess I saw or heard none of this game, and only peeked a few times at what what going on at the web gamecast. A 6:30-to-around-9:30 game is kind of around the time I'd like to be worshipping the Lord, so I was there doing that with a few people at a pretty nice worship assembly. I might add briefly that if you are not believing on Jesus Christ I'd encourage you to do so.

One thing I did see after church was all done was what the Chiefs had going with about two or three minutes left in the game. We were ahead 21-14 when we really should have been ahead something-like 35-14. Anyway, here we were with a 3rd-&-1 and a chance to seal this one by getting one little tiny easy one-yard gain.

Of course, you know what I thought. I always think this when the Chiefs are in this situation.

We are so going to fail here. We always do.

And you know what? We did. Looking at the replay later Mahomes went back to pass and... and... had to throw the ball away.

For the 5,809th time when we have a 3rd-&-stupifyingly-short-yard-to-get --

We sucked.

You have to know, any time I watch any other NFL team in any other game and they have a 3rd-&-short, I'd say they get it, ummm, something like 99.93719% of the time.

When the Chiefs have 3rd-&-short, that rate -- I'm pretty sure -- is around 0.0027001502% I'm pretty sure, you can look it up, but I'm pretty sure that's it. Or pretty close to that, pretty close to reliably suck.

I don't know what it is about that except Andy Reid just has some kind of brain fart when it comes to having the right play to get that yardage. It just has that very palpable feel to it. It is almost like whatever it is the Chiefs plan to do on any 3rd-&-short, the other team just somehow by some psychic ability knows what to do to stop it. And they inevitably do. Do you feel that way too?

What saved us, really, was after Miami got the ball back and started easily matriculating the ball down the field on us our now-quite-reliable D managed to hold them to a 4th-&-10 at around our 30 yard-line when their QB could not handle the snap. Good thing too because we were blitzing and they had guys breaking open downfield.

::Whew::

There are any number of things I could write about here that I later happened to catch about the game, but the one thing that needs mentioning is the splendid defensive play we made just before the 1st half ended. We're up 14-0 and our good friend Tyreek Hill took a swing pass that our CB Trent McDuffie gets all over. He's very good at stripping the ball, and he did here. Mike Edwards picked it up yet was immediately grabbed by Hill, whereupon he flipped the ball to Bryan Cook who streaked down the sideline for a super-spiffy Chiefs score.

Very very fun.

Not so fun is our offense, and our now-getting-more-and-more suspect receiving crew. Rashee Rice was still okay, scoring a nice touchdown this morning, but everyone else -- at least from what I heard -- still: ::Yikes::

We have a bye next but then we face the Eagles. I'm not so much as worried about them as I am the Ravens. They absolutely crushed their opponent for a second straight game. This Chiefs team should be doing that -- I mean it looked like we were today but then...

Uggh. That 2nd half today. Zero points -- zero. From anyone, offense, defense, anyone. Fortunately our D held the fort, but what is going on with a team that has Patrick Mahomes? Come on guys.

__

The photograph is from Steve Sanders at the official Chiefs site. Thank you.

__


No comments: