Monday, February 10, 2020

Chiefs As World Champions - Part III

Will Patrick Mahomes dominate the NFL for the next decade?

This is the question that seems to be consuming the post-Super-Bowl world. It is definitely wonderful to hear, no matter how valid the concern. Oh don't get me wrong, we all believe it is a genuinely valid concern.

All the crazy stats about how good he's been -- I saw a tweet from Rani Jazayerli, fine Chiefs and Royals fan pundit, that pointed out how no NFL team has ever put up 31 points or more in five straight playoff games. This Mahomes-led team did, and while much of it is indeed the coaching and the on-field weapons, we all got that -- that fact that we have this quarterback leading the charge means a ton.

Thing is, this Kansas City team is not from a media-darling large-market location -- even though the NFL seems to be perfectly happy with Mahomes' future possible -- some think certain -- success because of his immense talent, robust leadership, and splendidly personable nature. I'm sure they'd rather he play for the New York Jets, I'm sure of it.

This is why even after I've railed against everyone being against us because we aren't that media-darling large-market franchise I still hold to that position in spite of the Chiefs phenomenal success of late. For one, look at the team we had to assemble to win it all! Indeed is wasn't just that we had one of the best young quarterbacks ever in NFL history. It required a future Hall-of-Fame coach, a youthfully vibrant and incredibly insightful general manager, a stacked team of exceptional players, and of course a seasoned resilient owner to persistently build an energetically positive environment for it to all come together.

And secondly when I think about the stars lining up for our team to get a Patrick Mahomes, I do think about how viciously they lined up against us for years and years and years regarding our drafted and developed quarterback situation. It was as if all that rotten luck in all the previous NFL draft day poker games went 180 degrees in the opposite direction and we were delightfully dealt a royal flush on that spring day in April 2017.

So yeah. No apologies about our future dynasty, none at all. It will certainly not be as overwhelming as people seem to think, but hey. That they're all thinking it and we get to enjoy its potentiality now, that's a tremendously joyful thing right now.

I haven't even gotten to much of all the amazing things I've seen over the past week, and I'm blogging now just to say that I hope to get to some of it some time. I just have so little time, but when I do, I'll put a bit more down.

What a great week for the Kingdom!
___

No comments: