Tuesday, February 04, 2020

Chiefs As World Champions - Part I

I have a whole off-season to post just on this. Yes, I have written so much about the misery -- I once even called the Chiefs "The Achilles Team of the NFL." Not unjustified, but it was all good therapy.

Now, the joy.

Just thinking of that television shot of that sea of red, all the people at the Power and Light District, watching them gain steam, gradually hands going up, more mouths opening wide, until the crescendo finishes with ferociously waving arms and deafening shouts to the sky. This shot of the crowd of fans back home far from the game site was different from all the others, because you know they were showing everyone reacting to Damien Williams' dagger 38-yard touchdown run to finish it off.

It was transcendent.

It was pandemonium in our home. I can confidently say when Williams completed his run to glory, there were no fewer than 800 million trillion gazillion Kingdom homes where exactly the same thing was happening. I can't wait to see the video compilation of all the places going wild at that exact moment.

The crazy thing is the joy is so much more intense and the feeling so much more euphoric because of all the past mishaps. It is kind of a perverse idea, something I'd mentioned a couple years when reflecting on all the dejection. There's got to be something to all this. And sure enough, there was. Not only did it get these guys -- most notably Clark, Brett, and Andy -- to put everything they had into getting it right, but it made the moment just plain simply that much greater.

Again, I want to blog a lot on all of this, and will. I want to talk about all the insane things people have been saying along the lines of "The Chiefs didn't win the game as much as the 49ers lost it." Excuse me? I'd like to get into the game and the season for sure, the history a bit, the legacy a bit more, and the magnitude a lot. When I can I will for sure.

For now, I found it quite intriguing that the day we did it was February 2, Groundhog Day. In there was actually one of the better commercials featuring Bill Murray and Punxsutawny Phil experiencing rapturous joy reliving every day bopping around in a particular vehicle they were trying to sell.

Hmm.

Think about that for a minute.

Is this just the first day of a lifetime of reliving this kind of a moment in future Super Bowls? Now I know we should just enjoy the moment, for now, for today -- and we all are. And I know everyone is saying we'll be in more even though it is very very very hard to do this in the NFL, yeah yeah, we got that.

But could we also right now, with a very young stud general manager and very young stud quarterback and very-young-at-heart stud head coach -- could we just also after the first of what could be repeated Groundhog Days of Chiefs Super Bowl glory just soak in that ecstasy for a bit too?

Of course we can!

The Kingdom rocks!
___

No comments: