Saturday, January 08, 2022

Chiefs at Broncos - Week 18 - Record: 12-5

It is late and I really wasn't going to blog about this one right now -- I was at a family event tonight and actually watched the end of the game on my phone on the road. But I felt I should say something in a post because my last one was about how much the officiating works to take down the Chiefs any time it has a chance.

Thing is, this game was a close one mostly because the Broncos did play well and our run defense was just garbage -- except for that Melvin Ingram hit and Nick Bolton scoop for the late touchdown that some guy at Elias tweeted hadn't happened like that since 1712 or something. Interesting that there were a number of retweets I read from those mentioned how fearful they were that play would be called back, you know, "forward progress" or something. Why would so many feel that way except that so many of us just know how much the officiating is working against us far too often? 

The most striking thing was at one point in the game a good gain of ours was negated because of a holding call against Joe Thuney. The insane thing about that was the announcers asked their television ref expert about it and he categorically said what Thuney did was not a hold.

I just mention it because just because we win a game doesn't mean the officiating isn't hurting us. It was happening in this game too, though it just wasn't as much as it was in the Cincinnati game. Sure there are any number of things we still need to legitimately clean up on our end. Refusing to hit our marks and tackle is a major one -- giving up on their quarterback running 23 yards for a touchdown was a thing of ugliness.

Anyway, not sure how much I'll post later, we'll see. The simple truth is we've locked up the No. 2 seed and could get the No. 1 seed if Houston beats Tennessee tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath.

___

No comments: