Sunday, January 16, 2022

Steelers at Chiefs - Wild-Card Playoff Game

Throughout the entire 1st quarter I simply could not help but think. You know. You know. I hate to say that I thought about it, but I still thought about it.

1995 playoff game. 1997 playoff game. 2003 playoff game. 2016 playoff game. 2017 playoff game. I guess it happened so often I just thought about how it was very possible it could happen again. Ergck.

You know. That playoff game when we do some amazing things, but there are just enough stupid things happening to keep us from winning. Sorry. I just couldn't help but think. I don't think I'm the only one.

Especially when as a 13-point favorite -- the largest spread of any Wild-Card playoff game in NFL history -- we were down 7-0 after a botched Hardman-Williams RPO led to a Pittsburgh defensive touchdown. Hardman actually had a fantastic game otherwise, but Williams wasn't seen again.

Instead the Chiefs went with Jerick McKinnon, who was ballin' tonight. His pass-catching and running vision really got us going in the 2nd quarter, when we scored three touchdowns to make the statement. The third was a long Mahomes-to-Kelce touchdown connection when we were just angling to get a field goal with a few seconds left in the half. That triumvirate of Mahomes-Kelce-Hill took care of business to pull out the convincing win.

You know, it is funny. When we won our first playoff game in eons back in the 2015 season, that win over the Texans, I couldn't blog enough. I wrote and wrote and wrote I was so excited.

Well, now, since Mahomes took over a scant four years ago, we've had postseason wins over the Colts Texans Titans 49ers Browns Bills and now Steelers. It is all tremendously awesome, truly it is, especially in light of all the past heartbreak -- none of these wins will ever be thought of as anything less than wonderful.

But I'm just not going to blog a whole lot about this one. We got the dubya we should have gotten, and now we're moving on to face a Bills team that annihilated the Patriots last night. At least we'll be at home, and we'll need our fans to be especially loud because their QB Josh Allen looked very good.

On to next Sunday at 3:30 (our PST here)!

___

Photo is by Steve Sanders at the official Chiefs site. Thank you.

___

No comments: